Diploma of Arts in TESOL (Dip TESOL)/Masters in TESOL
To enable English language teachers to improve their knowledge and skills for teaching English to speakers of other languages
- BA/BSc/B.Com (a minimum of 14 years of study)
- One-year full-time experience of teaching English (preferable)
- Should be serving teachers of English to fulfill the classroom-based practicum and teacher-research requirements
Evening Program: 2 semesters for full course load (course work including practicum and research project); 4 semesters for part-time students (course work including practicum and research project)
Days/Timings: Full-time: (5 modules per semester) 3 days a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday), Saturdays, 9.00-4.00); Part-time: (2-3 modules per semester)
Course requirements and structure
Credits required: 30
Dip TESOL has three main components:
- Course work: 7 modules- 3 credit hours each. Total 21 credits
- Action research project (including background reading, data collection and analysis and writing up), 3 credits.
- Developing Professional Practice (DPP): 2 modules, DPP I (Micro-teaching, classroom observation skills etc.).; DPP II 2: (Supervised practicum including maintaining a teaching portfolio with a record of 10 teaching lessons out of which 3 lessons per participant will be observed), 3+3=6 credits.
|Course Code||Semester 1||Course Code||Semester 2|
|DAT 101|| Learning and the Learner
|DAT 106||Curriculum, materials and teaching-learning resources|
|DAT 102||Methodology: Teaching the four language skills, grammar, and vocabulary||DAT 107
|Planning and managing language learning and teaching in under resourced, large and multilevel classes|
|DAT 103||The study of language systems(grammar and structure, phonology, discourse,& pragmatics)||DAT 108||Assessment, monitoring and evaluation|
|DAT 104||Language awareness: Researching and reflecting on classroom language||DAT 109||Developing Professional Practice II
Supervised practicum with teacher portfolio: a record of 10 lessons with materials used and follow-up teacher reflections
(3 lessons will be observed for assessment)
|Developing Professional Practice I
Micro-teaching, lesson observation
Teachers may be allowed extra time (one semester) to complete their research projects, if required.
|Total=5 Courses||Total= 5 Courses|
Full-time students will need to study 5 courses in each semester (15 credit hours); Part-time students will need to study 2-3 courses per semester.
A diploma may be awarded on completion of all course requirements (30 credit hours) according to defined standards as per university rules. This includes successful completion of course work, supervised teaching practice and an action-research project.
A waiver can be considered for a maximum of 2 courses per semester and only at the Diploma level. (For waiver, the applicants will need to pass a 3-hour waiver exam with a minimum of 60% marks in each course for which waiver has been applied for.)
Entry and Exit Pathways
Semester 1: Entry in Diploma Program (Both full-time and part-time options available)
Semester 2: Exit after completing course work (Award of Diploma)
Semester 3: Entry in the MA TESOL program (semesters 3 and 4) provided the candidate has an overall GPA score of 2.5 or above in course work at Diploma level
|Admission Fees||PKR 5,000|
|Security Deposit||PKR 5,000|
|Student Fund||PKR 5,000|
|Tuition Fee||PKR 150,000|
- Payment in monthly installments for Diploma/ Master program is allowed on case-to-case basis.